Monday, October 08, 2007

Obsessed With Letters

I remember about a year ago, I was somewhat concerned with Erin and letters. She didn't really have an interest in letters other than E, R, I, N. It was all about numbers. She counted (and still does) everything. Knew most all hew numbers on sight etc . . . but if I showed her a letter she'd have no idea what it was and no interest to really try and figure it out.

Well, Noni got her something similar to this little computer this summer that she loves. At first she only played the numbers games. But one morning I can downstairs and found her playing some of the letters games. In about an hour or so, she'd figured out all the letters.

When she started school, she got more comfortable with letters. They work on letters almost every day. They'll often have a letter of the week. Apparently they practice writing them, and recognizing them. They type of stuff you'd expect in pre-school. She started bringing home papers with practiced A's all over it. The next week it was B for bear.

So after we put Jeffrey to bed Friday night, Tom and Erin went downstairs for a few minutes of quiet time. Erin decided she wanted to "write". She blew us away with what she could write. Almost all of her letters she was able to easily copy, and some she knew how to write without even copying them. Tom would say "F" and she'd go, "Oh I can do that, that's in Jeffrey's name, J, E, F, F" and write a perfectly nice F.

Her obsession continued into Saturday. She wanted to write everyone's name on her "family" homework project. Since she was running out of space I convinced her to stick to Tom, Meghan, Erin and Jeff. Then she got out another piece of paper and wanted to know how to write everyone else's name. She picked a few friends from school and wrote their names (with some help in reminding her what the letters looked like) and wrote grandma, Oma, Noni too.

I was just amazed. She sat and copied these words for over an hour. Whether this is something from school or just a passing craze I was impressed. I don't remember being able to write this well (and I certainly didn't have this interest for it) when I was her age.

So we spent our weekend spelling and writing and copying everything. What's in store for next weekend I wonder.

No comments: