Saturday, October 12, 2013

She's a daddy's girl

She's a daddy's girl. Always has been. She will almost always choose to hang with her daddy, cook with her daddy, brew with her daddy over cuddling with mommy (that's my boy). Daddy's a goofball and she eats it up. Only recently have there been a few "daaaaads" making their way into conversation.

Last night was one of those moments, something silly happening as we were grabbing burgers for dinner. If I remember correctly dad was stealing her peanuts. She spouted out with her daaaaad (remember she's 10 -- OMG she's 10!!!).  T continued with his usual smile and questioned her, "I hope you'll still talk to me when you're 13."  The following conversation ensued.

E - Sure.  If I can FaceTime you.  (Tom's dinosaur phone has no FaceTime)
T - As long as you talk to me.
E - I will.  Can we message? (The dinosaur does have messaging capabilities)

Me - breaking into conversation - Just where do you think you will be living when you are 13?

E - shrugs her shoulders, pops a fry into her mouth.

I'm wondering if she really understands what's coming to her. Not sure if she thinks that she will be at college when she is 13. Or locked into her room? Apparently though, the only access we might have with her will be through electronic devices.

We try hard to make sure that she knows we are here for her. I tend to still take the brunt of the 10 year old drama so daddy being there is desperately important. I'm the one who ensures that homework is done, teeth are brushed, rooms have an access pathway to the door, the trumpet is practiced. Daddy makes her laugh. He cooks with her. He teaches her to juggle and play table top miniature games. He patiently coaches her soccer team.

He generally jokes with her about "I hope you'll still talk to me when you're a teenager."  I'm thinking we're in pretty good hands (as long as he upgrades his dinosaur within the next 3 years).

 

No comments: