Monday, May 12, 2014

Where has the time gone?

Well look, your birthday post is a day late.  Hopefully it's not a dollar short.  Just like with your brother, the busy aspects of life got in the way and I didn't get to write to you before yesterday.  But oh, how I've been thinking about how you are growing.  And how many exciting things are just around the corner.  Just where has the time gone my little one?

Next August you're going to start middle school.  You are absolutely excited.  You've been talking about learning Spanish or French for several months now.  You will have different teachers and have to "move between classes".  Best of all, there will be lockers.  I'm absolutely terrified.  How will you reach your locker when you get a top locker.  Will your organization skills get you through the day? Who will watch out for you?

But seeing the exuberance in your eyes lets me know how much you're growing up, and how quickly. And it's not all bad.

You're finally tall enough to ride the big roller coasters at King's Dominion. The ones you've watched for years and years. You can now flip upside down at crazy fast speeds and drop down hills at almost 90 MPH if you want to (I think we're both rather crazy for loving that).

Last summer you spent your first week away from family at 4H Camp. Without a second glance back you hopped on to the bus ready for an adventure. You quickly found friends and loved learning to canoe and sing camp songs. When you returned 4 nights later you were exhausted in the best way possible, from growing and learning and making new friends.

You love your mommy time still, but it's different. You want to go out and get our nails done. Or go out to a nice dinner. Or watch a "big girl" movie (i.e. Hunger Games) together. We went to our first major theatrical production together. You loved choosing out the fancy dress to wear and were amazed at every second of Wicked.

I guess I will just have to face it. You're growing up. And I'll have to take it like you took your trip to camp.  I'm scared, and I don't know exactly what the future is going to bring. But it will be an adventure and I guess its time we face it head on -- together.

Love you, my big girl!

No comments: