Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I Have a Brain - I Left it Upstairs

So Erin is obsessed with the Wizard of Oz at the moment. She found the DVD in the closet and has been asking to watch it frequently. She sings the songs and even dances along with the Munchkins. Yesterday she sat on the coffee table and didn't move throughout the whole movie.

So tonight she was watching it again. When it got to the end, where the Wizard is handing out the Brain/Heart/Courage Erin looked up from the couch and yelled:

"I have a brain!!! I left it upstairs!!!!"

She then ran up the stairs the re-emerged with a rolled paper tube. It was the copy of the service from Jay and Heather's wedding so it was just an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of parchment-looking paper rolled into a tube. She had been playing with it earlier in the evening.

She ran back downstairs and said:

"See mommy, See my Brain?"

It took me a second to put it all together, but then I realized that the Wizard gives the Scarecrow a diploma - a piece of parchment paper rolled into a tube - as a symbol of his brain. Erin missed the symbolism and went right for the concrete idea that the piece of paper was a brain.

It was one of the cutest things I have seen her do in a long time. Truly priceless.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey Erin, What a cute story about you running upstairs to get your brain. I am not sure I would have ever picked up on the fact that she was referring to the Wizard of Oz. We missed you guys at Rylie's party this weekend, but are excited to see you next month in NJ. We hope all is well with you. Love ya and miss ya lots, Aunt Katie and Uncle Bill