Friday, September 08, 2006

Stepping Back in Time

As a late Anniversary celebration, Tom and I went with the kids (and my folks) to the MD Renaissance Festival last weekend. The Ren Fest has been a special place for Tom and I since our second summer dating, when we started going to the festival in New York. The MD festival is very similar, with a lot of the same type of acts, a jousting arean, hair braiders, and of course -- turkey legs.

We thought we might get rained out by Ernesto, but after a rainy Saturday, Sunday turned out to be beautiful. Morning started off cool and cloudy, but by noon the sun was peeking out and it started to warm up just a little. Since we thought it was going to be hot, we didn't pack our costumes this year and will save them for another trip (or they're always GREAT at Halloween parties).


Erin and Jeff also had a really great time. Jeff spent most of the day in the stroller, getting a little fussy at times, but there was so much for him to look at he did pretty well. I tried to convince Erin to get her hair braided with me, but we decided to buy her a flower wreath instead (better idea I think). I finally had hair long enough at this time of year to be able to get mine braided. It looked great and I'm so glad that I did. Erin did paint a silk suncatcher of a fairy and buy a bubble wand so she could blow bubbles with the pros there. Jeffrey also enjoyed the bubbles but he had more fun chasing after them and playing with the suds that fell onto the ground. There was also a big silde that both kids got to ride (with adults in tow). Erin totally loved it. Jeffrey wasn't so sure but Grandpa had fun with him anyway. And not to be forgotten were the free pony rides for Erin (Jeffrey would have rode also, but he fell asleep right before we got in line and we weren't going to wake him up).


All of this was much fun - as much for me as for the kids because I just love watching them explore new things and having fun. The best part for Erin though was getting her face painted. She waited almost all day to decide she wanted it, but was convinced by the little girl in line with us for the pony rides. She had a moon on her face and Erin thought that it was the coolest thing she'd ever seen. So off to the face painting station where Erin sat perfectly still and even told the girl doing it that she wanted a moon. She even got sparkles on her cheek to go with it. And...I wasn't allowed to wash her face for 2 days. That's right folks the moon stayed on her cheek for 2 days.


Tom and I got some time to ourselves also when Noni, Oma and Grandpa took the kids for a while. We did some shopping (Tom got be a beautiful sterling silver ring) and eating festival food -- mmmm Steak on a Stake. Next year Jeffrey will probably be able to enjoy it a little more and Erin might be willing to sit and get her hair braided with me. At least it gives us and excuse to go back again.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Erin and Jeffrey, That is cool that you guys got to go to the Festival in MD. Your Uncle Bill and I have never been to one of those before; maybe someday we can go to one with you. The moon that you had painted on your face Erin was really cool. I think you should get your hair braided next year because your hair is so long and it would look great in a braid! We love you lots, Aunt Katie and Uncle Bill

Robyn said...

Hi Erin and Jeffrey,

I am so glad you had fun at the fair. My Mommy and Daddy said they might take us to the one up here. I hope you guys are doing great and I hope we can see you soon.

Love Rylie