Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Trip To DC



Isn't it nice when you get to mooch off your husband's hotel room for a week? We've been to DC so many times, but this time rather than stay with Noni and Grandpa we stayed in Alexandria right across from a metro station. The room was a suite so we could put Jeff to bed and still stay awake with Erin. Each morning we were able to get gourmet omelets made ready to order. The kids fell in love with ham & cheese omelets. With a big breakfast, I'd steal an extra banana and we'd head out the door to catch the metro into the city.


We've had the kids downtown before, but it's been a while. Our first day I asked Erin if she wanted to walk and see some cool buildings (the monuments) or go inside and see some animals. Clearly my animal-lover picked the second choice so we headed to the Natural History Museum that has a huge exhibit of "stuffed" mammals. Erin was extremely excited and ran around pointing at all the exhibits. She loved the lion and the zebras and the kangaroos (all of them life-sized stuffed animals). We checked out the dinosaurs (a little scary) and then the gems and minerals. Both the kids loved the gems and minerals and all the sparkles. That was the day we also went to the fountain and rode the carousel on the "Mall." Since it was very hot and sticky we headed back to the hotel early afternoon and met Tom for some drinks and snacks (courtesy of the hotel) and then dinner.


Day two brought a cold front. We woke to a light drizzle and grey skies. From all my previous experience I realized that this would be the perfect day to visit the zoo. The animals are always much more active when it is cooler, and it's certainly more comfortable to spend the day outside. Erin and Jeffrey LOVED the zoo. Erin was especially taken with the giraffes, the cheetah, and the dwarf donkey in the barn area. Jeffrey liked the elephants and the donkey also. We got the great chance to see the orangutan outside swinging on ropes between towers that crossed the pathways. Erin stood and watched him for a long time. When it was time to move on, I said "say goodbye to the orangutan" so she looked up and waved at it. As I took few steps, Erin squealed back at me "Mommy it waved at me!!" I didn't see what happened, but she was sure he had waved at her and that was what mattered to her.


The next two days were a little less exciting. We headed to the American History Museum to see Dorothy's Ruby slippers before the museum closed for two years. My little Wizard of Oz fanatic thought it was pretty cool to see the shoes so I'm glad we got the chance. We then met Noni for lunch at the hospital. With signs of Ernesto heading towards DC we zoomed back to the hotel by means of Erin's favorite mode of transportation -- the Metro. She LOVED riding the train and watched out the window. She got especially excited for the planes near the airport.

Friday Ernesto hit Alexandria with a vengeance. The wind and rain were vicious and very cold (for September). Since we had to check out of the hotel at noon we needed to find someplace inside to hang out. I bundled the kids in their jackets and loaded Jeffrey in the stroller to RUN across the street to the metro. We spent the afternoon walking around Union Station until Erin couldn't take it any more. We headed back to the hotel and waited, shivering, for Tom so we could load things up and start towards my parents for the weekend.

We had a great time in DC. It was really nice being across the street from the metro and being able to get to everything so easily. Although it was hot one day the other days (except for Friday) weren't so bad. Even if it wasn't too sunny being cool in DC is an opportunity that should never be passed up. Maybe next time we can bring you along too :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Erin and Jeffrey, It sounds like you guys had a great time with your mommy in DC. Being a huge animal lover myself, I always love to hear the stories of you guys going to the zoo and being so interested in all the animals. Maybe one or both of you will be an animal doctor like me someday! We love you and miss you lots, Aunt Katie and Uncle Bill

Robyn said...

Hi Guys,

Washington DC is such a great place to visit. I remember my Mommy and Daddy taking me there. I think I had fun. I think the National Zoo is one of the best zoo.. Maybe we can all go togetehr one time. Miss you.

Love Rylie