Saturday, March 17, 2007

More growing up


It seems that the children in this house are growing up much faster than I'd expected. Jeffrey reached another big boy moment yesterday. Tom and I had been talking about getting him a bed and out of the crib, mostly because I was tired of having the crib in his room. We debated between Tom's old twin bed (with new mattress and box spring) and getting him a little toddler bed for a while. Well at the consignment store yesterday I hit upon a gem of a toddler bed for only $30. It was exactly what I was looking for so I grabbed it.

When I got home with it, Jeffrey was just waking up from his nap. Tom offered to go set it up and take the crib down. Erin stayed upstairs to help daddy. I brought Jeffrey downstairs to play and watch a Rocket (or 2). I could hear Tom describing everything he was doing with Erin and having her help him put it all together. It sounded like they had a great time. Once they got everything assembled (and disassembled) I headed up to re-arrange the room.

I stopped at Target on the way home and found a Lightning McQueen pillow and throw blanket. There were lots of bedding in twin size but not for a toddler bed. So I did the best I could to make his new bed exciting with McQueen (I have discovered a couple little gems for Cars toddler bedding on e-bay but Tom made me promise to wait a week to see how the bed goes.) So I got everything ready with Erin's help and she wanted to badly to get Jeffrey to show him his surprise.

He into his room and immediately shouted, "Queeeeeeen". He was quite excited. He quickly climbed onto the bed and grabbed a pillow I'd left on the side to put where the pillow belonged at the head of the bed. Then all his blankets and special friends came up to the bed. It didn't take him long to make it his own. He and Erin spent the rest of the afternoon playing in his bed. Taking blankets off and on, moving things around...

I was still a little afraid about bedtime. I just wasn't certain how he was going to take to it. So we did the usual ritual... brushed teeth, read stories in the glider. As I laid him down he immediately got upset, grabbed his elephant and precious blankie and ran down the stairs screaming for daddy and monkeys (5 Silly Monkeys book). I wrangled him back to me, found 5 Silly Monkeys and sat down to read it to him. After that, I laid him down. He got a bit upset but still snuggled down into his bed. Within 5 minutes he was out like a light.

I snuck up twice, once when I put Erin to bed and once when I went to bed to check on him. I took pictures some pictures to see how much he was moving around. Turns out it wasn't too much.

About 9:00 PM

About Midnight

About 7:30 this morning, Erin came in to announce that Jeffrey was awake. I hadn't heard him but I guess she did. I told her not to open his door but she did anyway. First place I found him was with Elephant and blankie in tow, sitting in the middle of her room. I'd wanted to get a picture of him where he ended up in the morning. Didn't have the camera right on me, but that seems the perfect place for a little boy to end up after his first night in a big boy bed....the middle of sister's room.

I guess we'll just see how nap time works out. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey Jeffrey, It is hard to believe that you are already in a "big boy" bed. Boy how time flies. I hope you continue to do well sleeping in it. Then your mom can snazz it up with some stuff from Cars. And it sounds like Erin was a big help putting the bed together. We love you guys and miss you lots, Aunt Katie and Uncle Bill