Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Big Girl Birthdays

Erin was invited to her first "big girl" Birthday party yesterday. Her friend from school, Abbey, had a party after school and Erin was invited. Erin thought this was just the coolest thing ever and we counted down our sleeps for 6 whole nights (that's how Erin judges time -- how many sleeps). Thursday we went shopping and Erin picked out a fairy puzzle and some dress-up wings for Abbey's present. She also picked out a new princess dress for herself because the invitation said to bring your favorite princess dress.

So after school yesterday, I picked Erin up with Jeffrey in tow (as always). Abbey's mom said Jeffrey and I could stay, but with it being nap time, I didn't expect we'd make it very long. I dropped Erin off and went inside for a while. I helped her get into her new princess dress (a red Belle dress that must be from some Beauty & The Beast sequel I don't know of). She and Abbey settled down at the little beauty parlor set-up to have Abbey's mom do their nails. By now Jeffrey was screaming because I wouldn't let him have the cupcakes he'd spotted in the dining room. I talked to Abbey's mom and we decided I'd leave Erin and come back to pick her up a little early.

I got back and there was a living room full of little girls in princess dresses, quite a sight to see. Erin seemed to be having a blast. She told me all about lunch (pizzas and little heart-shaped PB&J sandwiches), decorating her crown, Abbey opening her presents, hitting the pinata and jumping in the little castle bouncer. Clearly she had a blast.

I really wish I'd been there to enjoy it with her, but Jeffrey simply had other ideas. I wasn't going to wear us all out by battling with him the whole time and that was clearly the correct choice.

I can't believe how much my baby girl is growing up. Going to parties all by herself. Having little "makeovers". Making special friends. It's amazing to watch it all happen.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Erin,

I can not believe how big you are getting. Before we all know it you will be in kindergarden. We miss you and can not wait to see you guys at Christmas.

Love Aunt Robyn