Friday, April 04, 2008

Potty Talk

Literally -- potty talk. Jeffrey's made some huge strides in his potty usage lately. He goes on his own when we're at home and when we're out and about he'll tell me he need to go potty. But sometimes things in the potty can get a little funny, especially when we're visiting some of the public restrooms in the area.

On our most recent trip to the grocery store, we stopped off after having lunch at Red Robin. The kids had guzzled their lemonades so I knew we were going to have to stop. Anyway it's not the cleanest of bathrooms so I was trying to help Jeffrey move the process along. While trying to juggle Erin's "Froggy" from school, my jacket and purse and help Jeff at the potty I went to "hold it down". He immediately swatted my hand away. "You No Touch that Mommy. It's FRAGILE. You hear me? You no touch. It's Fragile." I almost peed in my own pants I was laughing so hard at him.

While on our recent vacation with Noni we had several LONG days in the car. On our first day we stopped at a rest stop for some travel info, a leg stretch, a drink and a snack...and of course a potty trip. I took Jeffrey in and set him up. He made a few grunts and looked at me.."I no like poopie mommy." I tried to talk him into to trying for just a few minutes but he only got more upset. My last resort was to sing to him....so there I was, squatting on the floor in front of the potty in a public bathroom singing "This Old Man." Who knows what the lady sitting next to us thought. But you know what? It worked. And it worked again a few days later when we had the same issue (only this time at a Chilis and the requested accompaniment was Wheels on the Bus).

And to go along with those long car trips come the inevitable - "Need go potty mommy." - when there's no bathroom in sight. OK Jeffrey can you hold it, I asked. "No mommy." "OK bud, we'll we're gonna find a place to pull over and you can pee in the grass." "NOOOOOOOOO mommy, NOOOOO pee-pee in the grass. Pee-pee in the potty. Pee-pee in the bafoom. I NO pee-pee in the grass." This repeated over and over until I finally found the boy a potty. His sister on the other hand had no issues peeing in the grass. For the rest of the trip anytime I asked if either needed to go potty he'd get all upset and cry "No pee-pee in the grass."

So as you can see, we're making progress and having loads of laughs along the path to self-sufficient potty usage.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I am glad to hear that he is doing well with the potty. The "fragile" story was hilarious. I am not looking forward to those times with Will just yet; he is growing up too fast as it is. We love you and miss you lots, Aunt Katie, Uncle Bill, and Baby Will