Sunday, July 13, 2008

Forget Something Dear?

Forgetting things seems to be a trend in our house right now. Maybe it's not forgetting but just being so busy you don't notice things. Like where you put your shoes when you took them off. Or where you left your blankie. Or what you did all day. But this morning we had the ultimate in forgetting things.

The kids and I headed into church this morning while Tom hung around to do some yard work before it got too hot. Erin needed her hair washed so I had her jump in the shower with me. After finishing our shower I helped Erin pick out clothes - a pretty flowered blouse and a skirt. I got them set aside for her, told her to get dressed and went to get myself and Jeffrey dressed.

Erin showed up dressed a few minutes later. After a quick blow dry of her hair and mine too we grabbed breakfast. While mommy gathered up everything daddy went through the usual...."well where did you take your shoes off?" "You can't go to church without shoes." "Please go find your shoes (which happen to be sitting 2 feet away in the middle of the living room but they still can't manage to find them)".

I pile the kiddos into the car and head off to church. We find out that church school will start after about 15 minutes of service so the kids and I head up to find some seats in the sanctuary. Being new to the "big kid Sunday school" Jeffrey's not keen yet on sitting in the sanctuary. I let him choose where we sat. Erin disapproved and explained that sometimes I just need to let her sit where she wants and be alone. Fine, I conceded, and she moved to the row behind us.

Through all of this I was trying to remind Erin that she needed to sit like a lady in her pretty skirt. After she moved behind us I looked back at her to find her not sitting like a lady at all.

Remember I started all of this with forgetting things. I glanced back at Erin to see that she had clearly forgotten......underpants. Yes that's it. She forgot to put on any underwear. And was sitting so it was clearly obvious that she did NOT have any on. I immediately turned a shade of beet red and made her change how she was sitting.

"Erin did you forget something this morning?"
"Ummmmm....I dunno"
"Think sweetie...when you got dressed. Did you forget something?"
"Maybe my panties"
"Yes dear, it appears you forgot your panties."

I sat there wondering what in the world I was going to do. I used to keep an extra pair for her in the Intrepid. But we had 2 problems with that. I brought them inside a few months ago since she doesn't have accidents when we're out for over a year. AND, I was driving the Sentra. No extra panties around. Then I looked at Jeffrey. There really was only 1 solution to my problem.

I walked Jeffrey into the bathroom and informed him that he needed to give his sister his Deigo undies. The result was a shrill scream and cry..."You CAN'T take my Deigo undies. Those are my Diego undies. I LOVE my Deigo undies. Then I won't have ANY Diego undies." All of his sentiments were actually correct but I needed to cover sister up. After a few minutes of consolation and explaining that I understand it's not as comfy without undies (this from the boy who needs to have shirt and shorts on in order to sleep at night) we left the bathroom with him sobbing at my side and me carrying 1 pair of Diego undies.

I nabbed Erin away from her Bubble-iscious (who found it EXTREMELY humorous that Erin left the house without undies) and discreetly put Jeffrey's coveted Diego undies on her. I don't know why I tried to be discreet about it because this just elicited another round of...."Those are MY undies....." with Erin loudly explaining to him "But I forgot to put panties on this morning. I need your undies." I tried as hard as I could to become invisible. Didn't work.

Moral of the story. Jeffrey's undies are coveted and never assume that your 5-year old daughter remembered to put on underwear when she got dressed.

No comments: