Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Almost There

Back in January I was convinced that I would be purchasing Pull-ups for another few years. Jeffrey had no interest in night training. And with all the stories Tom tells about his experiences growing up I figured we were in for the long run. Back in mid-February Jeff started waking up dry a few days a week. It was still a fight to get him to use the potty first thing, and often he'd just go in his pull-up rather than the potty.

By the end of February he'd go for longer stretches being dry...even a week at one point. But then we'd have 3 soaking wet mornings. I decided at that point that when the pull-ups ran out we'd try going without for a night. He's been doing great with the pull-ups recently. Been dry for almost 2 weeks. So last night (with 2 pull-ups still left in the bag) we had the big discussion after bath time.

"Hey buddy. You want to try wearing your big boy undies to bed?"
"Why?"
"I think you're ready. You want to try?"
"Why?"
"Well you've been dry in the morning for a while now, I think you can keep your undies dry."
"Why?"

I think you get the picture. "Why" was the only answer I was going to get so I grabbed a pair of Cars undies and explained again that he was growing up into such a big boy I thought he was ready to say goodbye to his Pull-ups.

After a few extra trips to the potty before bedtime he snuggled into bed. And this morning.....

....All dry. Yay big guy. I'm so proud of you.

No comments: