Monday, October 12, 2009

My Family

As expected Erin has spent much time in her room the past two days. She'll play on the floor with her pets (and then even put them away!!!). She has also really enjoyed having a "work" area. Tom's old desk has been in her room for a long time but it's just been a place where we set stuffed animals, books and other clutter. Now it's near her door and set up as a place where she can sit and "work". Yesterday she did some drawing and copied a few books, something she really enjoys doing. This morning I found this on her desk.


It's a list of Erin's family. Written in what I call Erinese. She sounded out everyone's names phonetically and wrote them down on one sheet of paper. Some I was really impressed with. I was able to figure out all of them without her reading it to me first.

Here's a translation for you.
Erin, Jeffrey, Mom
Dad, Noni, Grandpa
Jonathan, Aunt Katie
Grandma, Grandpa W
Rylie, Avery
Aunt Robyn, Uncle Jeff
Aunt Katie (again), Uncle Bill
Baby Will

I'm pretty impressed. More because she tried to sound out the names, rather than memorize them. "Jonuthin" I found particularly impressive. I think "Ant Cadee" is pretty darned cute (and so must she, because Aunt Katie made the list twice). She still gets her lower case "b" and "d" mixed up. This is a recurring issue that we're working on. It's also very clear that the long E sound is EE. The very last two I think she was getting tired. Sorry Uncle Bill and Baby Will.

Maybe it's just a mommy thing, but I'd say she's a pretty smart cookie.

No comments: