Sunday, September 05, 2010

First Sleepover

Erin got to go to her first sleepover this weekend.  One of her friends from the plays was having a sleepover so they could all watch Camp Rock (a Disney Channel show of some sort).  It was rather last minute invite, which was probably good.  Neither Erin nor I could stress over it too much.

The theme of the party was "Rock Star" so Erin dressed in her best Rock Star get-up.  She was all sparkly and glittery.  And soooooo excited.


Mommy wasn't quite as excited.  Erin's been away for the night before, but with Grandma or Noni, or Aunt Katie. This was her first night without someone from the family.  My biggest concern was that she might get a migraine.  It had been a long week and sometimes a migraine will hit her at the end of a long week.  But I decided that I couldn't keep my baby living in a bubble.  We talked together about things she could do to make help prevent a migraine (drink more water) and how she needed to tell a grown-up if she started getting a headache.  After she agreed to those things, we packed up her sleeping bag and pillow, as well as a backpack with clothes for the next day  -- AND all her SillyBandz. 

We arrived to a bustle of activity.  Kids running around the house, music playing.  Erin dropped her stuff and ran off.  Her host gave her a little Rock Star goodie bag (which included even more SillyBandz).  I hung around for a few minutes, but when the pizza came out it was clear I wasn't needed any longer.  After a quick peck on the cheek I was dismissed.

I spent the night with my cell phone and house phone next to the bed, just waiting for it to ring.  Nope.  She didn't need me. 

When I arrived in the morning she was wearing a wonderful gold sparkly number and swinging from the monkey bars.  She'd had a blast and stayed up late talking with the girls -- just as it should be.  Turns out she never even opened her backpack so she'd slept in her friend's PJs and missed out on the SillyBandz trading.  S'ok.  I'm sure there will be more opportunities for that.

I'm so glad that she had an awesome time.  I remember sleepovers as being one of my favorite things as a kid.  I'm sure there's more to come in our future. 

No comments: