Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Birthday Weekend



For my birthday weekend we got to spend it as a family with my folks near DC.  Friday, my actual birthday, we headed to King's Dominion.  This is the first year we've gotten season tickets and they've been absolutely worth it.  I put down "King's Dominion" on the calendar for my birthday way back in April.  Tom took the day off and we got there nice and early.  Since the park has an attached water park we planned the morning for rides and the afternoon for the water.  It worked out perfectly.  We all got to spend some time on our favorite rides and then splash around in the water.

A few memorable moments from the day:


  • Riding the Drop Zone tower with Tom and Erin
  • Watching Erin rider her favorite roller coaster with Tom
  • Chasing after Jeffrey around the lazy river when he decided to go around a 2nd time and we all got out.
  • Double tube water slides with Erin
  • Watching Jeffrey dance in the rain during an afternoon shower
  • Taking Jeffrey to the top of their observation tower (the Eiffel tower) even though it's terrifying to me.
  • Having Tom and the kids sing Happy Birthday to me out front of the park

Erin's Favorite Ride -- the Anaconda

Proof I went to the top and that he has no fear of it.


We left the park and headed to DC.  It was dusk and the sunset was just stunning.  The kids fell asleep in the car and Tom and I chatted together for the drive.  Once in DC we celebrated my birthday with my folks and Oma and then took our sleepy heads to bed.


That does NOT look comfortable


Erin's typical way of storing her clothes.
Saturday morning Tom and Jeff went on a walk and Noni took Erin shopping for clothes.  It was a big deal to Erin that just she and her Noni go shopping together.  I tagged along but busied myself with the women's sundresses (and purchased a completely superfluous cute little number that I have nowhere to wear).  Erin and Noni picked out dresses and outfits and came away with quite a little wardrobe.  And it was just the most adorable thing to watch.  Then when we got home, Erin put on a little show for everyone at the house.

That evening we celebrated birthday and father's day with dinner at Joe's Crab Shack.  Erin ordered her first crab legs and did a great job with them.  Tom, Noni and I enjoyed their steam pots.  After dinner we convinced Oma to take a slow walk with us around the "lake" in the shopping center.  We stumbled across a cupcake shop so had to grab dessert.








Sunday was a laid back day with hanging at the house.  Tom and I took the kids to the local park for a ride on the train and carousel.  Otherwise we played in the back yard.  Grandpa Donuts cooked dinner on the grill and just super yummy.

Big kids get to have fun too






It was just a wonderful weekend with wonderful family.

2 comments:

Branden M said...

Was that at the Washingtonian(?) Center, in Gaithersberg / Rockville? I was there just the other week - not a bad place!

Unknown said...

Yep. Mom and Dad are about 30 minutes from there and it's a great place to go eat as a family in the summer.