Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Not really about the kids but...

So I took my first mommy vacation this weekend. It had been over a year since I had had a weekend off from Erin and I had never been away from Jeffrey for more than a few hours. Mom had a conference in Boston and I LOVE Boston at Christmas so we used up some frequent flier miles and I went along to hang out at the ritzy hotel and walk around Boston for a few days.

The weather on Friday played some nasty games with us and I had to be routed through Charlotte in order to get to Boston. That's heading a hour south in order to get north, but hey it got me there. Mom also had to rearrange her flights and ended up landing in Boston during the middle of a white-out after having the plane struck by lightning. So needless to say the first place we headed was the bar at the hotel for a little something soothing - lol.

The kids gave Tom his own headaches. Jeffrey refused to drink anything for almost 12 hours. He was supposed to bring Erin to a friend's house on Friday, but couldn't get up the hill because of the ice so not much work got done on Friday. Erin tried to help with Jeffrey, but there's only so much a two-year old can do for her baby brother. When she can change his diaper, then we'll talk.

On Saturday I met up with Craig and we nabbed some lunch then headed out for a walking tour of Boston. We checked out the "holiday village" in the convention center and then walked through the city peeking into high-end hotels and wandering through the Common. We even found the store windows that were dressed up for the holidays. When I was a little girl we walked along those windows every year. So that meant a lot for me to find them. As I headed back to the hotel the sun was setting behind the skyine and it was completely gorgeous.

For dinner Mom and her friends and I went to Anthony's Pier 4, a special place from when I was a little girl. It had changed some but was still much the same. And very yummy.

Back at home base Tom got a little relief Saturday evening by taking Erin to Nathan's and for a break. He hung around with Jeffrey and watched a movie with Nathan's daddy while Erin, Nathan and his mommy watched "Rocket" and played computers. It didn't take Tom long to learn the value of a nearby friend after a long day with the kids.

Sunday led me up the Prudential building in Boston to take some awesome pictures. Then after a little Christmas shopping we all grabbed a cab back to the airport. Apparently while I was sitting in the bar eating a sandwich at Logon, Michelle Kwan walked down the hallway behind me and apparently headed to MY PLANE. As a longtime figure skating fan I searched for her, but never caught sight of her - bummer.

After a short talk with Tom encouraging him that I was heading home and Jeffrey would soon stop screaming I hopped aboard the flight home.

It was a nice weekend and I loved getting out around Boston again. Tom got some great bonding time with the kids and a true lesson in how tough it is being the only one in the house capable of diapering, feeding, consoling, rocking, playing etc... The most important thing I have to say is...

Thank you Tom and I Love you.

No comments: