Monday, March 20, 2006

"I Do Not Like to Swim Mommy"

Lesson learned - Jeffrey does not like to swim. I was really excited about taking Jeffrey to his swim classes because Erin loved hers so much at this age. Well another big difference between the two of them - Jeffrey's not such a fan. The first few classes he was ok. Not a huge fan but not miserable. By the end of the session last Saturday Jeffrey was no longer shy about professing his discontent.


I Do Not Like to Swim Mommy


So Jeffrey and I will not be taking another swimming class any time soon. I expect he'll still love the beach because the water will be shallower and he can just sit and splash if he wants (and eat sand and grass and other lake features).

I'm glad we took the class, but he simply didn't enjoy it. Some parts he was okay with. He was pretty good about floating on his tummy with his arms out or over a floating barbell. The last thing we did in class was play with a ball and floating basketball hoop. That was a blast. He'd even try to "swim" after the ball to get it. I believe he even cracked a smile there. He did get one dunk under the water because I wanted him to have that experience. He did pretty well with going under, but at that point he was so mad at me already I don't think he could have gotten any madder.

So we will look for another special thing to do just us because swimming is clearly not the answer. Maybe we'll try again in a few years.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Jeffrey,

I went swimming too. I liked the swimming part but, did not like when we had to leave. I hope you and your Mommy find a fun activity to do together. That you both like..

Love Rylie and My Mommy