Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Visit with Noni, Oma and Grandpa

Since Noni had the day off on President's day I decided to surprise Erin by taking her and Jeffrey up for a visit. I got her up in the morning and told her she needed to get dressed quickly as we were going on a surprise trip. Oh I know mommy....is it my birthday party? Are we going to my birthday party? That was her first conclusion, that her surprise was her birthday party. She kept at this fascination for about 30 minutes. By that time I had loaded enough things into the car that it seemed as if we were going to stay for a week and not a night. As we started driving Erin explained how excited she was that she was going to her birthday party. I told her that I didn't think her surprise was going to be a birthday party. That she would have to wait for that. Her birthday party would be on a warmer day that she could wear shorts and short sleeves and play outside. And play soccer, added Erin. Sure, and play soccer.

About half way through the trip Erin abandoned the idea of a birthday party and decided we were going to a parade. She became very excited about going to the parade. As I hit a little traffic she got more and more upset because she was afraid the parade was going to start without us. I let her know that the parade wouldn't start without us. But asked her if she was sure her surprise was a parade. Yes mommy, you're taking me to a parade. Very matter of fact. She was certain.

Only when we pulled into the driveway at my folks house did she put it all together and realize we were at Noni and Oma's (and Grandpa's too). I carried both kids inside and plopped them down. Jeffrey went straight for the dog. Erin ran right downstairs to find Oma. Parade totally forgotten about.

We spent a nice day at the house coloring, reading stories, eating grilled cheese sandwiches and playing piano. I also brought all of their snow things (thanks to Noni, Jeffrey finally has a pair of boots and both kids have waterproof pants). There was a nice amount of snow remaining in the back yard. When Jeffrey woke up from his nap we bundled up and went out to play. There was a crust on the snow that wasn't slippery, but you had to work to break through also. It was great for running and sliding around on plastic bags ---sleds next year I guess. Jeffrey ran around the back yard chasing the dog like a madman. Erin had Noni pull her around on her "sled". We also played on the swing set and made snow angles.

After all that playing we decided to take Grandpa out for a late birthday dinner. We went to one of Noni's favorite places where we could still eat sensibly and bring the kids. On the way in I grabbed their Magnadoodles from the back of the car (that I bring along for car trips) thinking this place might not have crayons. Proud of myself for grabbing them we walked in and were seated quickly.....right next to a couple who had brought in a portable DVD player to entertain their son. I felt not so creative anymore.

We all had a great dinner. Erin and Jeffrey ordered hot dogs and tried some Mac & Cheese bites which were really yummy. Jeffrey sat between Grandpa and Noni and was so good throughout all of dinner. Both shared bites from everyone else...including Oma's lamb....which Erin asked for more of. Jeffrey enjoyed his ketchup and the artwork he could make on the table....AND IN HIS HAIR...with ketchup on the end of his fork. Of course I had to take a picture on my phone of Jeffrey with a large streak of ketchup in his blond hair before we wiped it off....the DVD people thought I was a little nuts I'm pretty sure. We finished off with Erin ordering Raspberry Sorbet and Jeffrey eating most of Noni's bread pudding.

After getting home Jeffrey got his hair washed and was ready for bed. Erin went downstairs with Oma and played until they fell asleep. Mommy and Noni watched some Supernanny and CSI and caught up on all kinds of things. We left mid-morning the next day. Erin completely in tears because she wasn't ready to leave yet. Even in the car she kept crying ---until a quick stop at McDonald's for OJ and a hash brown had her all smiles again. It certainly was a great day spent with family.

No comments: