Friday, August 29, 2008

Like Mother Like Daughter I Guess

I have an oddly vivid memory of helping a friend in kindergarten become more comfortable on stairs. Our playground was built into a hill and there was a big set of open stairs leading to it. I seem to remember that this friend lived in a one-story house and wasn't used to big open stairs. So I remember one recess walking up and down and up and down the stairs with my friend so she could get to the playground more easily. My mom will tell you that this was just the kind of thing that I did. I liked to help people, especially when they were scared of something.

Well, I sent a note to Erin's teacher yesterday with some random mundane questions (like "are there nut restrictions for snack" or "is there a gym/art/music schedule"). She quickly responded to my questions and added this little bit at the beginning of her note to me.

"Thanks for the note this morning. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, we had a busy, fun-filled day! Erin is such a delight to have in class! She is very smart and kind to all the students. She has really helped one student who has been very shy and hesitant to try new things, so I appreciate that."

I don't think I've ever openly stated to Erin - "You should help people who need it" or "Help kids who are shy." Maybe she sees it around the house. Maybe it's the Big Sister in her (she really does love her little brother, especially when he lets her help him with something). Maybe it's just some innate part of her that hurts when someone seems sad or afraid. I'm not sure.

Erin's never mentioned any of this to me. She talks about a few people in class but never says "Hey mom, I made ***** feel better today," or "I showed ***** how to play blocks". To her it's no big deal. But to mommy, knowing that she's a compassionate beautiful young girl it's a very big deal.

No comments: