Friday, August 07, 2009

The P-O-O-L

When Tom joined the gym with me last month we got a free pass to the pool. I've been saving it to use during this busy two weeks as a treat for the kids. Yesterday afternoon I checked the weather and decided that today would be a good day to use it. So after rehearsal last night I figured I'll tell Tom of my plans. I wanted to keep it a secret from the inhabitants of the back seat so I said to Tom.

"I think tomorrow we'll use the pass and go to the P-O-O-L (Spelling the word)"

"We're going to the pool tomorrow?????" shouted Erin from the back seat.

I had no idea she could spell the word pool. Read it and sound it out, sure, but immediately put it together. No way. It's not even really phonetic. She's not got the "oo" sound down yet. Or so I thought.

"Well there goes that surprise."

It reminds me of when I was a kid. Mom was trying to convince dad that we needed a pet. We lived in an apartment complex at the time so options were limited. She spelled the word "parakeet". "Daddy, daddy, can we please have a parakeet??? I begged immediately." I must have been a little older than Erin, but not much. I did end up getting that parakeet. And Erin got her trip to the P-O-O-L today too.

No comments: