Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Flashback to My Playground Days

I have very vivid memories of jump roping during recess in Elementary school.  I went through a jump rope phase when I was about Erin's age.  Maybe a little older.  I remember jumping at school, and on the sidewalk in front of our house.  I'd try jumping forwards and backwards.  Jump at different speeds etc..  I loved it.

Erin's school has done a jump rope for heart the last two years.  It's a fundraiser for the Heart Association and the kids get to practice during PE class.  The more money the kids raise, the sillier things the PE teacher will do.  So far Mr. B has spent the night on the roof of the school, worn a Mohawk,  and the kids are currently working on earning enough money to duct tape Mr. B to the walls of the cafeteria during all three lunch sessions. 

So Erin has been practicing her jump roping at home a lot.  We have a old rope that she got as a goody bag, or something from Easter.  Honestly we're not certain where it came from exactly.  She spent a large amount of the weekend trying to "beat her record" which I think stands somewhere around 45ish right now. 

She's also taken the opportunity to practice her math skills.  I mean what could be more fun than jumping and doing math!!!  She likes to count her jumps, but can't just count by ones.  First she counts by ones.  Then asks me to help her count by twos (she gets to 12 just fine and then the counting/jumping combo get too tricky).  She moves on to 5s and then 10s.  So while I'm making dinner I'll hear "45 mom!!!  By 5s"  or "23...1s!!"  On rare occasions it's "10 by 10s" in a sad voice.  This morning she asked me to teach her to count by 4s.  I tried to explain it, but honestly, math was never my strong suit.

I love seeing her get so excited about something I remember so fondly as a child.  I look forward to each dinner prep time and hearing my next "Hey mom - my record!!!  55 by 5s!!!!"

No comments: