Saturday, June 02, 2007

At This Very Moment

At this very moment Jeffrey is playing in his room. Usually this is a good thing...today not such a good thing. You see he's supposed to be sleeping. I've gone up there 4 times, changed a stinky Pull-up, moved him back in bed, and even once slapped his behind. He knows he's stretching the bounds because when he hears me coming he either runs for his bed or lies down where he is on the floor and pretends to be asleep. He and Erin were both up early this morning playing and need to nap.

He's been fighting the sleep more and more lately. I think it's more of a control thing than a not being tired thing. He wants to control when he sleeps. Or where even. For example (a cute example at that).

Last night I put the kids into bed around 8:00 PM. Tom was out so I got both kids to bed at the same time. I read Jeffrey a story, tucked him in, got my night night kiss and left the room. I went over to Erin's room and read her a chapter from Charlotte's Web. All was quiet when I left her room. I headed down to the basement to watch a movie and play on the computer. I have a baby monitor on my desk so I can hear what Jeff's up to. All is quiet for the rest of the night.

When I'm ready to head to bed I always peek in at the kids and give them secret kisses. Sometimes Erin wakes up and says love you mommy. Jeffrey is usually half out of his bed and I scoot him back to the middle. So last night I head into Erin's room and give her a kiss. She makes a few noises but doesn't wake up. Tom, standing outside the room immediately starts giggling. I am thinking - he knows I do this every night, what's so funny. Tom remarks...

"I assume you put Jeffrey to bed in his bed tonight, right?"

"Of course, where else would I put him?"

"Well come look at this."

I turn to see what he's snickering about. There in the middle of our queen bed is a sound-asleep Jeffrey. All snuggled under the covers and cozy on Tom's pillow. I have NO idea when he moved in there. I never heard a thing.

Usually if he wakes up later in the evening he'll come downstairs to me...not last night apparently.

No comments: