Thursday, January 24, 2008

Is God Down There?

Sadly Erin's fish Marlin died sometime last Friday. When we first discovered it she was devastated. Cried so hard she made her head hurt. She just sobbed and sobbed. Tom and I tried to explain that Marlin had gotten very, very old in fish years, and that when that happens fish just sometimes die (also when they've been subjected to several attempts at "play" by a 2-year old). So Friday night Erin cried herself to sleep very upset that Marlin had died.

So all week we've been trying to decide what to do with Marlin. Erin wanted to send Marlin to God so God could take care of Marlin. Today when we were finishing cleaning out the tank (it's been a busy week) I reminded her that when daddy got home, we were going to take care of Marlin.

Will we send him to God?

That sounds like a good idea Erin.

But where is God. I can't see him?

That's a big question Erin.

I then proceeded by explaining that God is everywhere all the time. That God was giving her a hug as I did, that God was making the trees move around outside, that God was with her new baby Cousin Will when he was taking a nap or with Cousin Rylie when she was playing with Aunt Robyn. This was a long enough answer to completly confuse her and end the conversation.

Erin and I had talked about putting Marlin in the stream behind the house, since Marlin belonged in the water. But it's been really cold and no one really wanted to go stand by the stream in the cold. So after dinner tonight we decided to give Marlin a bathroom funeral.

We said goodbye to Marlin and explained again that we were going to send Marlin to God. Erin dumped him into the potty and clearly said "Goodbye Marlin." Tom then had her flush the potty and she watched Marlin swirl away. Immediately Erin looked up at me and said.....

Is God Down There?

Holding in the laughter as much as possible Tom and I said, yes honey I guess God is down there. I'm really hoping she doesn't need too much therapy when she grows up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a truly beautiful story.
Though I have to admit I'm not sure how well I would have succeeded in not laughing at being asked if God was "down there"
I suspect that your children will grow up as well adjusted as any can.

Anonymous said...

Well, I agree. What a good job you both did letting this be a special occasion and a good teaching moment. Noni

Katie said...

Erin, Sorry to hear about your fish Marlin. He is with our Parakeet Petey up in heaven. What a wonderful story. Both Marlin and Petey will be watched over and taken care of up in heaven now. We love you and miss you lots. Aunt Katie, Uncle Bill, and Cousin Will