Saturday, June 06, 2009

Shades of...

Back in February Erin was studying about Abraham Lincoln (Presidents Day) and Martin Luther King Jr. The process of talking with her about MLK provoked some interesting thoughts. When do kids start differentiating by race? Does she see, or realize the difference? How do we teach her about such an important person as MLK and not discuss race?

Her teacher dealt with it quite well. They learned that he gave an important speech. They learned that he dreamed all children to be able to go to school together. I talked with her about his passion for teaching peace. I think she grasped the important concepts.

Fast forward to just last week (June). Erin was working on a project for school. She was drawing a picture of herself.

"Armone has brown skin" she said. Armone is in Erin's class. Has been since September. Yet it took until June for Erin to think enough of her physical appearance to mention it.

"Jonathan has brown skin too."

Tom was walking by, and paused. I didn't say anything. I wanted to see what Erin was going to say next. It ended up something like "Mommy, can you pass me the blue pencil, I need to make my blue pants." So I said something like

"So Armone and Jonathan look different than you?"
Erin -- "Yep" (still coloring away on her drawing)
Me -- "And that's OK right?"
Erin -- "Yep"

That was it. The conversation had ended. I'm hoping I handled it correctly. Erin certainly doesn't seem concerned with it. Actually, the topic hasn't resurfaced since that short conversation. But I know now that her vision has broadened somewhat. She's noticing and recognizing that people are taller or shorter, lighter or darker skinned, blonde or brunette. She's seeing that there's a great big world out there full of so many different people and adventures. I'm watching my baby grow from a little girl into a young lady, right before my eyes. And how amazing it is to watch.

No comments: