Monday, August 08, 2005

Sigh - Long Poopy Day

I am sure some day I'll look back at this and laugh, but certainly not today. . .

Well, it was a very long day yesterday. Tom is again on travel for the week and had to leave early yesterday morning. All started out fine, we even made it to church, but there, the day began to go downhill. Erin had an accident while in nursery (I guess they didn't make it to the potty in time). That's OK, new person in nuresry - easily taken care of. As soon as service ended Jeff started screaming unconsolably. It probably looked fairly humerous, me trying to peel a banana for Erin while sticking my finger in a screaming baby's mouth (as the paci came out as soon as I put it in). Eventually Erin found a friend to help her with snacks and I whisked Jeff off to give him a little snack.

With that taken care of, we headed home, with a stop at the grocery store for Diet Coke and milk which Erin had been asking for all morning. Upon arrival at home, both were asleep. Managed to move Jeff inside without waking him. Erin woke in process of getting out of car and decided her nap was over. After sharing some soup for lunch I took Jeff to feed him again and noticed a familiar odor coming from Erin.

Let me explain - Saturday she pooped in her panties. I can't call this an accident because there was no remorse or even realization that anything was wrong. She didn't tell me she was poopy, I sniffed her out. Flash forward to Sunday, same time of day, just gotten off potty - poopy panties. Interrupting Jeff from his lunch (now he's screaming again) I put Erin in tub to clean her off - she throws fit, mommy looses cool. Now all are screaming and crying. Sit Erin on potty and remind her that "poop goes in potty" while I finish feeding Jeffrey.

Finally I get Erin down for a short nap and Jeff is somewhat content in his bouncy chair. Short nap over, Erin pees on potty and we head downstairs so I can work on computer. 5 minutes later she is squatting in the old familiar position. "Erin do you have to potty," mommy asks. "No." "OK" Two minutes later it happens again and mommy it too late - poopy in panties again - back to the bathroom to clean up. Sigh.

Rest of afternoon goes fairly well. Jeff spends some time playing in his exersaucer. Erin plays in her room and successfully tells me she has to potty several times (no poops though). I even make a nice dinner, which is rare when Tom's out of town (but I had to use up some thawed chicken before we headed out of town ourselves). Erin eats good dinner, Jeff takes short nap. Jeff wakes up for his dinner. Eats well and proceeds to scream for the next two hours.

Mommy puts Finding Nemo in DVD player to entertain Erin while trying to calm Jeff down. Turn out now Erin is scared of Finding Nemo so mommy got one screaming infant and one cowering toddler - "Calgon take me away." I call my mommy to keep myself from going off the deep end. Finally decide Jeffrey does not have a fever and might be teething. He calms down a little and mommy and Erin finish watching Nemo. Upon concluding mommy says the bad word, "Bedtime".

After one more fight up the stairs followed by another trip to the potty Erin's resigned to bedtime. Of course in the middle of potty time, phone rigs and Tom wants to tell me he's safely in North Dakota (lucky him). Jeffrey (screaming again) is brought into Erin's room for story time. We make it through stories with Jeffrey screaming, commence with kissing ritual which includes kissing each atuffed animal in Erin's bed at least 3 times. Go to turn out light and put on music, Erin demands one more trip to potty (mommy thinks she just wants M&Ms now) Small success and Erin's back in bed, light out, music on. One down.

Jeffrey - still screaming finally decides maybe he's hungry. Nurses like he hasn't eaten in 5 days and finally falls asleep. At this point, mommy crawls into bed and is asleep as soon as head hits pillow.

10 hours later Jeffrey wakes up - in a slightly better mood. Erin has had several successful trips to potty this morning, but no poops. At the moment Jeffrey is napping in his bouncy chair and Erin is entertained by the Wiggles (thank god for the Disney channel). And mommy is ready to go back to bed...

No comments: